Friday, September 5

espresso muffins with almond oatmeal crumble

I have been planning to drop by one of our program's sites at work but I keep putting it off because there seem to always have a reason for me to stay at my main location. And since the people from there keep waiting for me to show up, these muffins will be my bribe/apology pastry. I just hope they still like me enough that they'll eat these babies and tell me they're good (because they are!).


almond oat crumble


Since I did not have any espresso powder in my pantry, I used instant coffee powder instead and I added some cocoa powder into the original recipe as well. I also added oats to the crumble for good measure. I drizzled these with a chocolate glaze I have left over in the fridge for an extra kick of sweetness.


Coffee Muffins with Almond Oatmeal Crumble
Makes 12 muffins

Ingredients:
1 and 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon instant coffee or espresso powder
2 tablespoon cocoa powder
1 tablespoon boiling water
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Amond Oatmeal Crumble Topping
Mixed together:
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 chopped almonds
2 tbsp quick oats
3 tablespoons flour
1 and 1/2 tablespoons butter

Optional: chocolate glaze for drizzling on top

Instructions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl dissolve the instant coffee powder in the boiling water. Add to flour mixture with the butter, egg, milk, and vanilla.

Stir to combine, don't over mix. Batter will be thick.

Fill muffin tin/baking cups 3/4 of the way. Sprinkle with the crumble topping, dividing equally among the muffins, press into batter gently.


Bake for 18-20 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. 


Adapted from: Ms. Reeni

No comments:

Post a Comment