Sunday, September 21

blue cheese and pear crostata



i gotta say, i sometimes surprise myself with the amount of energy I can muster just to do something I put my mind to. I've been wanting to try making berry pies but being in a tropical country, berries are hard to come by or are too expensive.  Apple pies on the other hand are a little too cliche. I wanted to so something edgy for my first try at this pastry so I wanted something different.





A week ago, I was doing my groceries and came upon a wedge of blue cheese which i though was on sale for 72 pesos ($1.67) so i bought it only to realize (while checking on the receipts) was actually priced at 172.00 ($3.97).  When I came back to the store yesterday, I apparently did not see the 1 before the 72.  I really should get my eyes checked.  So since I already have it and do not have anyone else at home to share it with (it just smells too funky for them), I gotta a find a way to milk this cheese for all it's worth. As always, the web always comes to my rescue and it spurted out this recipe from thekitchn.com

I used the same exact recipe but made 2 small ones so it would fit my teeny tiny oven.





For the crust:
Ina Garten's Apple Crostata Pastry

For the crostata:
4 small to medium ripe pears
3 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup light brown sugar
3 tbsp chopped almonds (you can also use walnuts or hazelnuts)
1 tbsp quick oats
3 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
honey (optional)

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

Core and cut the pears into small, 1/2-inch chunks. Set aside in a bowl.

Roll out your crust onto a well-floured countertop until you have a rough, 10- to 12-inch circle. Transfer it to a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.

Pour the pears into the middle of the crust, leaving about a 1 1/2-inch border around the edge. Scatter the blue cheese evenly over the top, tucking some pieces under and in between chunks of pear.

Combine the flour, sugar, and nuts in a bowl, then add the butter. Pinch the mixture together with your fingers until the dry ingredients are somewhat pebbly and combined with the butter enough that most pinches hold together.


Pour the topping over the pears. Fold the edges of the crust toward the center, folding it as necessary to create a circle. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the crust is golden brown. Allow to cool for about 10 minutes. Drizzle with honey, if desired, before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment