Sunday, August 17

grilled calzone (a clean-out-your-fridge recipe)

I always take it as a challenge when I check out the contents of my fridge right before I do my next batch of grocery shopping and see if I can cook something up out of what's left in it. I let my imagination go wild (yup, because i live on the edge!).




Today, when i checked out what's left of the vegetables and meats in my fridge, here are what I found:

zucchini
bellpeppers
a jar of olives
half a jar of button mushrooms
left over pasta sauce
left over chopped grilledchicken breast (orginally meant for my vegetable salads)
cheese

You already have a hint of what you can do with these? They all seem pretty Italian to me so what do I make with them? Nope,not pasta (I've been eating pasta the past 2 days so i was getting tired of it), calzones! And since I wasn't in the mood to use the oven, being it was about 33 degrees (C) outside and it's already hot as it is at 9 in the morning, I decided to do something crazy and said to myself, "hey, if you can grill flat breads, why not grill calzones?"  and so I did.




so i just chopped up those vegetables i found in my crisper, added some yellow onions and my chopped grilled chicken breast, poured some pasta sauce on them and stuffed it onto rolled out fresh pizza dough (yup, i made one because i'm trying my hand at yeast bread making too.) folded it up,crimped it and onto the stove top grill it goes. then i realized that I made 2 BIG calzones so one of them became my brown bag lunch at work for the next 2 days plus some chopped salad and the rest my family feasted on for afternoon snack.




Ingredients:

1/4 cup chopped vegetables of your choosing (bell peppers, onions, zucchini, olives,mushrooms)
1/4 cup chopped grilled chicken (or other meats/seafood) 
1 cup pasta sauce
1 cup grated cheese
salt, pepper and chili flakes to taste
1 egg beaten for egg wash
half recipe of this pizza dough or store-bought frozen dough (3-4 ounces)

1) mix together the chopped vegetables, grilled chicken and pasta sauce. add salt, pepper and chili flakes to taste and set aside. 

 2) Once the pizza dough is done with the 1st proofing (if fresh) or if it has already thawed (frozen),  line your work table with parchment paper and divide the dough in half. Roll each ball out into a 1/4 inch thick rectangle about 4x9 with a rolling pin. top half of the dough with cheese then top that with the vegetable-chicken mixture the top that again with grated cheese.  fold the other half of the dough over the filled half and crimp the sides with a fork to seal it.  prick the calzone with a fork to let out steam as it grills.  brush with egg wash and transfer the calzones to an aluminum sheet and wrap it loosely with it. grill on top of a preheated grill and grill for about 4-5 minutes per side until golden brown.

Note: You can also bake these at a 400F oven for about 15-20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment